You are here: Financial help for single mothers » State Assistance For Single Mothers » Financial Help For Single Mothers In Texas

Financial Help For Single Mothers In Texas

If you are a single mother in Houston, Dallas, Austin or anywhere in the state of Texas, below is a list of some resources specific to the state of Texas.

Financial Assistance For Single Mothers In Texas

If you are a single mother in Texas and you need financial assistance for everyday good, then the TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) may be able to help. The TANF offer assistance in the form of monthly cash benefits to needy families who have children under the age of 18. Assistance is only granted for a maximum of 60 months, as it is designed to help families get back on their feet. Eligibility depends on your financial situation so it is worth applying for to see if you are eligible.

Texas housing assistance programs

Texas provides many options for rent assistance. See our list of websites in the State of Texas along with our list of subsidized apartments many offered by resources from HUD. Public housing and housing choice vouchers often have long waiting lists. We recommend that you apply to a few locations.

The HUD (U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development) is a fantastic government resource for all information related to housing assistance. You can visit their website to find information on avoiding foreclosure, getting rental help or talk to a housing counselor. Public housing and housing choice vouchers often have long waiting lists so we recommend that you apply to a few locations.

Food Assistance Program in Texas

In Texas, the food stamp program is called SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) and help people in financial difficulty stay healthy. It is based on the following criteria:

  • You are a resident of Texas
  • Your current bank balance is less than $2000 and you can prove it
  • You are a citizen of the US

If you are approved, you will be given an interview and need to bring the following:

  • Your ID
  • Social security number
  • Proof of income
  • Proof of rent and bills
  • Child care receipts

If you are accepted, you will receive an EBT (Electronic Benefits Card) and can be used at the grocery store similar to a credit card.
For more information about financial benefits, you can apply for TANF.

Scholarships for Single Mothers in Texas

Aside from the Federal government financial aid program, there are also state specific scholarships for single mothers available. The first is the Montgomery County United Way’s (MCUW) scholarship. This scholarship is aimed at single mothers between the age of 16-22 with a child under the age of 5 who wish to continue their education but need financial assistance to do so.

If you need more information on scholarships or grants in Texas, visit this site —> Scholarships in Texas

Employment Help in Texas

If you need to find work in Texas, the Texan Workforce Commission assists with job training and employment searched.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • vuible Financial Help For Single Mothers In Texas
  • more Financial Help For Single Mothers In Texas

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Yosselin February 8, 2011 at 6:18 pm

How do I apply?

Brenda Cool July 26, 2011 at 3:25 pm

How do I apply for financial support?

Christina Castro August 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm

I am 24 and pregnant with my second, and last child. Previously in school and close to completion. I am not able to work at this time because of my pregnancy( due date is September 15). I do recieve food stamps and WIC.My daughter and I live in Waco, Texas across the street from my grandmother who helps when she can. My daughter will begin kindergarden this year.I do not receive any assist from her father anyore as he is also in school. I would like to inquire if there may be assistance to finish school in the form of grants and/or assist with rent and daycare. I will be going back to work as soon as possible. I am determined to make a better future for my children. If there is help available you will not be sorry, I am going to make it. Christina Castro

VICTORIA PETTIT November 14, 2011 at 4:52 pm

How do I apply for help?

Lora Benson September 5, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I am a single mother of 3 kids I live in Denton and going to school part time and working full time. I am looking for a new place to live but I am not able to afford much. I am looking to move out of the Denton area and need to move by October 15. I need help with finding a place I can afford and then moving. Is there any help? Thank you.

Sarah September 13, 2012 at 2:48 am

Have you tried contacting the HUD? More information here:
Also, CoAbode may be able to offer assistance –
I hope your situation improves and good luck!

jasmine March 17, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I am a mother of two beautiful children, and I am 16 weeks pregnant. I am looking for a 2/3 safe and affordable apartment for my children and I to reside in. I am writing to see if there is any assistance I can receive. I do work and enrolled in school.

T'Aysha Diggs June 23, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I’m single mother who has lost my job, car, and apartment, I need some sources on how to get back on my feet i have no family to help me at this time, by God’s grace I have a job till Aug/14 but I really need some assistances, please help in anyway you can please.

Leave a Comment