You are here: Financial help for single mothers » State Assistance For Single Mothers » Financial Help For Single Mothers In Nebraska

Financial Help For Single Mothers In Nebraska

If you are looking for information on financial help for single mothers in Nebraska, the following information should provide assistance. Whether you are in Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue, Grand Island or anywhere else in Nebraska, the information outlined below should be of use to you.

Financial Assistance For Single Mothers In Nebraska

Formally known as welfare, the Nebraska TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) is a government program which provides cash assistance to low income families who have children under the age of 18 years and are experiencing financial hardship. Eligibility depends on your income levels and you are only entitled to it for a limited time as it is designed to help families get back on their feet.

Formally known as food stamps, the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) helps low-income people buy food. It is important to provide healthy and nutritious food for your children for their mental and physical development. If you are eligible for the SNAP program, you will be issued with a card similar to a credit card which contains credits for you use at certain grocery stores. SNAP benefits can only be used to buy food. Alcoholic beverages, pet food, tobacco, paper products, or other non food items can’t be purchased with SNAP benefits.

The WIC should also be able to provide assistance for nutrition. The WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a public health nutrition program providing supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income women who have children up to age five. This combination of education, nutritious foods, and referrals allows WIC to make a positive difference during critical times of growth and development.

Scholarships For Single Mothers In Nebraska

Education is expensive but often necessary if you want to further your career. So if you want to go back to school and you cannot afford to do so, you may be eligible for some form of financial aid in the form of a scholarship or a grant. There are many scholarships and grants available for residents of the state of Nebraska.

The first place to start when applying for financial aid is the FAFSA. The FAFSA is the core document required when applying for all other types of student financial aid, both on a federal and state level. You can apply for it online or from the school you plan to attend so best to contact the school you wish to.

If you would like more information about scholarships and grants in Nebraska, a comprehensive list is here: scholarships in Nebraska

Housing Assistance For Single Mothers In Nebraska

The HUD is a government organization helping those who are in need of some form of housing assistance. The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) help make the dream of owning your own home a reality. In addition, they also help with rental assistance and help apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants as well as provide information about Section 8 housing.

It can get pretty cold in Nebraska, so if you have high energy bills and can’t afford to pay for them, LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) can provide assistance. LIHEAP is a grant which provides money to help low-income households pay for their energy bills to avoid shutoff of utility services during the winter and summer months.

Medical Assistance For Single Mothers In Nebraska

The Nebraska Medicaid program pays for certain medical services for those who meet certain eligibility requirements. Medicaid helps low-income parents, children, other people in need for services such as doctors’ bills, hospital bills, prescriptions, dental care and other medical bills which may arise. Some preventive services, such as well child check-ups and childhood vaccines, are also covered. Kids Connection is part of Nebraska Medicaid and provides medical assistance to children age 18 and younger.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • vuible Financial Help For Single Mothers In Nebraska
  • more Financial Help For Single Mothers In Nebraska

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Luciana Mazon July 14, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I am a single mother who does not receive child support for my 7 year old son. I pay utility bills, rent, Insurace and phone bills. I would really like to be able to apply for financial assitance for medical needs as I constantly suffer from really bad headaches. I need help and I can not afford to pay for Doctor bills in case I were to go to the Hospital or go see a Doctor. I was also wondering if there might be a special program for Women who dont have insurance to get phyiscal and yearly exams with little or no cost to me? Please help me!

Leave a Comment


{ 1 trackback }