You are here: Financial help for single mothers » State Assistance For Single Mothers » Financial Help For Single Mothers In Alaska

Financial Help For Single Mothers In Alaska

If you are looking for information on financial help for single mothers in Alaska, the help described below should point you in the right direction. Whether you are in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Seward, or anywhere else in Alaska, the information outlined below should be of use to you.

Financial Assistance For Single Mothers In Alaska

The Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) provides cash assistance and work services to low-income families with children to help them with basic needs while they work toward becoming self-sufficient. This program is Alaska’s equivalent of TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) and is only available for a maximum of 60 months. Eligibility depends on your income and household size, so it is worth investigating to see if you are eligible.

If you need assistance paying to pay for nutritious food, you may be eligible for the Alaska Food Stamp Program. This program provides food benefits to low-income households and eligible applicants must pass income and assets tests.

Scholarships For Single Mothers In Alaska

If you need financial assistance for college, the best place to start is to apply for the FAFSA. The FAFSA is the core document required when applying for all types of student financial aid (ranging from state and federal governments as well as the colleges and universities) and you can usually obtain it from the school you plan to attend. So, best to contact the school you wish to attend and speak to them there. Also, the school you wish to attend may also have scholarships available, so best to speak to your financial aid office.

If you want a comprehensive list of scholarships and grants in Alaska, you can find it here: scholarships in Alaska

Housing Assistance For Single Mothers In Alaska

Like many Americans, we all dream of owning our own home. The HUD can help to make this dream a reality. Also, if you need housing or rental assistance, the HUD can also help. The HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants as well as provide information about Section 8 housing.

If you have a high energy bill and cannot afford to pay for it, Alaska’s HAP (Heating Assistance Program) can provide assistance. The HAP program helps low income households pay a portion of home heating expenses and the program runs from October 1 through April 30.

Medical Assistance For Single Mothers In Alaska

Medical bills are expensive, and if you need help paying for medical attention, Medicaid can help. The Medicaid program provides payment for medical services for low-income citizens. Medicaid serves low-income parents, children, other people in need for services such as doctors bills, hospital bills, prescriptions, dental care and other medical bills which may arise. Eligibility depends on your income level and other asset levels.

Denali KidCare is an Alaskan program designed to ensure that children and teens of both working and non-working families can have the health insurance they need. Denali KidCare provides excellent health insurance coverage for children and teens through age 18, and for pregnant women who meet income guidelines. Insurance is issued 12 months at a time and you will need to renew your application every 12 months to ensure there is not a break in coverage.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • vuible Financial Help For Single Mothers In Alaska
  • more Financial Help For Single Mothers In Alaska

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

Angela Wood September 29, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I had just moved back to Alaska Sep 8th,2011. I use to live here back from 2009-2011 and lived in a place called Stephen Parks Apartments, Which I had Hud assistance. I had went home to Florida to visit my mother and family memeber who was ill. An while I was down there I decided it was best to stay. So by me making that chioce I had left everything behind. Well when I moved back to Alaska in September I was told I couldnt get hud no more doe to me having a 1,900 bill becuase of me leaving stuff in the apartment and other reasons. I never did anything to desroy the apartment or any thing like that but for some reason I have a high bill that I can’t afford. With me being a single mother with three little kids with no job and is currently looking for work. We are homeless living in a hotel and as of right now I dont have money to get a place nor pay them off for what they claim I owe them. Is there any way I could get a grant to help pay off some of that balance? If you can please help me with some information on this. My name is Angela Wood my number is 907-980-6888 Thank You

Leave a Comment