Grocery bills usually amount to a large proportion of people’s weekly budget. So, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 easiest ways you can save money on groceries.
- Plan You Meals – Organization is key here. Grocery bills can get way out of control is you don’t plan ahead and then stick to your plan. Impulse buys often seem inexpensive but they can certainly add up. On the weekend, plan out your meals for the next week so that you always know what’s for dinner. This way you are sure to have all you need on hand and it will reduce the chance you going to grocery store and buying things you just don’t need.
- Stick to Your Budget - Budgets are a great way to keep track of how much you are spending. Whilst it is simple to make a budget it is much harder to stick to it. If you plan your grocery trips ahead of time, you will know exactly what you are going to buy and how much of everything will cost you. This way, you can keep track of your entire spending.
- Use Coupons – Coupons are a great way to save money and you can get significant discounts on items that are on special. You can even take this one step further and plan your meals around what you can buy with coupon. You will be amazed at how much money you can save with this method.
- Eat in Season – It probably won’t come as a surprise to you that imported goods are more expensive than locally produced goods. Therefore, if you only buy fresh produce that is in season, this will save you a lot of money at the checkout.
- Stock Up On Sale Items – If you really want to save huge money on your grocery budget, buy non-perishable sale items in bulk. Detergent will not expire, so you see it for half its price and you have the storage for it, buy as much as you can and store it for when you need it. Sales occur in cycles and, if you buy enough to get you to the next sale of the item, you can save significantly in the long term.
Deciding how much to spend on your groceries is a personal decision based on your taste and financial situation. But the key here is to decide before you go to the grocery store, not while you are there.