You are here: Financial help for single mothers » Housing Assistance-Programs » Housing Assistance For Single Mothers

Housing Assistance For Single Mothers

by Sarah Palmer

house Housing Assistance For Single MothersBeing responsible for all the finances as a single mother can be really tough at times, so it is important to get help when you need it.

If you are looking to find housing assistance for single mothers, there are many government programs available. Such assistance programs are designed to help out single moms meet their daily needs.

Below is information on where you can find housing assistance.

Housing assistance for Single Mothers

1. HUD Program

The HUD program is the federal government’s major program for helping very low-income families afford decent, safe, and sanitary housing.  There are income limits for families to qualify for the HUD and if you qualify, your rental costs will be reduced for apartments and public housing.

If you are looking to buy a home, the HUD sell homes, so check out the listings of HUD homes in your area.

If you are needing rental assistance, the HUD has affordable apartments for low-income families as well as the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8 Housing) in which you find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. The HUD also helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants.

 Housing Assistance For Single Mothers

2. HCFP (The Housing and Community Facilities Programs)

The HCFP provides a number of home ownership opportunities Americans in rural areas.

3. WIC (Women, Infants, and Children)

This program is created for single women with children of the age of 5 and under and provides coupons for free items every month. Healthy foods such as cereal, milk, cheese, juice, peanut butter, and eggs are provided to mothers who qualify.

4. CoAbode

CoAbode is a private organization offering shared housing for mothers to reduce the cost of living expenses. CoAbode helps single mothers find roommates with other single mothers to share expenses, thus increasing disposable income.

5. Help for heating and cooling bills

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is designed to help families with low income and small children pay for their energy bills. It was brought in to reduce the risk of health and safety issues if such bills are not paid. Each state has their own application and qualifications, so be sure to check with your local office to see if you qualify.

Many non-profit organizations also offer a variety of programs to help out single mothers. Some of these programs will provide temporary shelters to needy mothers with children; others may also offer free food and clothing for children.

Be Sociable, Share!
  • vuible Housing Assistance For Single Mothers
  • more Housing Assistance For Single Mothers

{ 26 comments… read them below or add one }

FANELLA WHITSON July 22, 2010 at 12:36 am

i am a single parent with 2 children and one on the way. Because of my illnesses I have to take absences from work which leaves me in a financial bind. I am steady going deeper and deeper in debt. Please let me know what I can do to get some help. Thank you

Samantha Holton December 15, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I have been a major working mom and trying to raise two boys on my own. I am so far in debt i want to cry. I dont know how I am going to pay my bills (rent, electric, water, and gas).

Kelly Rodriguez December 26, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I am a 40 yr old single mom of two. My children and I have been homeless since Nov 2009 due to a break up that caused my youngest to be kidnapped and molested at the age of two, everything I owe to be stolen and the loss of a car because I needed a motel room during an ice storm. We have been house hopping trying everything to get back on our feet. I get food stamps and medicad already.. but I need more help. I cant find a job with out a car to get there. I cant keep a job with out child care.. and I cant give my children a home, and the stability they need with out any of that. I dont know if there is anything anyone can do to help me but at this point I am desperate. Any advise that can help that wont cause me to risk losing my children any more than I am already at risk of would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ketty Saint LOUIS February 2, 2011 at 3:23 am

I am a single mother with 2 kids, I am trying to go back to school, I would like to go ultrasound tech. but they don’t have the programe where I live ( Middletown NY ) . I’m trying to get a better life for my kids and I, but everything are so tight, so difficult. So, I thing I doing to have to move to new jersey where I can go to school and be with kids after school because one of my kids have special need.
I going to need help to rent a place with them, I would like to go to LINCOLN TECH in new jersey. I have one boy and one girl they mine everything to me. Please help me.
Thank you.

harmony brann0n March 6, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I am pregnant and im also a first time mother, i am 5 months pregnant and need help getting into a home before she gets here. I am living with a non relative that does not want my child in there house, if there is any help for women like me out there please let me know.

Jennifer B March 23, 2011 at 9:11 pm

I am a single mother of 3 my youngest is 7. I am currently living with my parents and at 31 years old i think its time to move but where can i get help?? I am a full time student and my havent seen or heard from my ex in over a year. He is supposed to pay 600 in child support but havent seen a dime. I feel lost and confused I want to make a better life for my kids and myself but what do i do where can i get the help i need??

KEYOTTA f April 3, 2011 at 4:03 am

I am a mother of two boys 3 and 1. I attend college part-time and work part time. Im thinking about dropping out of school because I dont get any child care assisstance or help raising my kids and im very close to being homeless with nowhere to go.I dont know what to do at this point and i really need help or some kind of guidance.

Brandy April 7, 2011 at 2:06 am

I am a 24 yr old full-time student studying Diagnostic Medical Sonography and the mother to a 1yr old boy. I do not work and I am currently staying with my mom. This is a VERY temporary living situation so I was wondering what kind of housing assistance I am eligible for?

Tara J April 7, 2011 at 6:04 am

I am 24 years old and I am seven months pregnant. My doctor has insisted on putting me on bed rest due to my high risk pregnancy. On top of that I sleep on the couch of a friends house. I just started working at this job and I will not get paid for my maternity leave. My finds are becoming limited by the day. My firend will not let me use her address to get help from DSS because she lies to get foodstamps, when she doesn’t need it. I don’t know what to do and I cannot be living in her living room when this baby is born. I went to PATH, but they turned me away… I am running out of options and hope. Can anyone give me some advice?

tawana ingram May 20, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Anyone can do it! Just keep moving and never give up.

marian r May 23, 2011 at 8:46 pm

tengo una hija de 8 anos , soy madre soltera estoy sin estancia legal en este pais , quiero vivir aqui para que mi hija pueda estudiar en su pais y tambien ella pueda recivir servicio medico , por que mi hija tiene un problema neurologico , estamos solas porfavor alguien me puede orientar. gracias

joilma v June 22, 2011 at 10:53 pm

well my name is joilma…and im 23 years old,with 2 kids my 5 year old son n 3 year old currently homeless something ive been sence 17 when my family threw me out for getting pregant with my son.after that ii live house to house and been threw alot.i have tryed my hardest to change my living situation but its seem to get worst by the minute.i honstly feel like a bad mother.all i want is to get a roof over my babys heads but its seems to be a mission impossible.

LISA July 12, 2011 at 8:54 pm

I am a single mom of a 1yr old NO Job, car, play to live and childcare…I feel like everything is against me. I have never in my entire life been in this situation with so much against me. You call all day everyday for help with little resolve. I hope and pray everyday that I will look back and think how did I ever survive?

Taine July 31, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hi, im a single mum of 3 children 13, 7, and 2 living at Hanover right now and desparate for a house to live with my children because at the moment my kids school is quiet far away from where we live right now so im asking for your help please.

denisiah c August 7, 2011 at 5:29 am

My name is denisiah, I’m a singlemom of 2 boys 3 and 1, I’m 19 yrs old and I get thrown out almost evry 2 months over nothing . My moms boyfriend rules her life, she let’s him control her, she so quick to throw me and my children out but wnt take us of her section 8 or foodstamps, were hoppin house to house and section 8 pays for me to be there, me and my babys are hungry and her and her sorry excuse man are eating,. Its so unfair , how could you do your own child like that. It has to be illegal how can I I get help?. I need someth. I need something or some kind of resource

Maria N August 8, 2011 at 5:53 pm

my names maria im 20yrs old i have one kid and she is 1yrs old. We live with my grandparents and its kinda getting on bareable, my stuff always comes up missing and no one ever replaces it they use my diapers for my 3 yr old cousin with out my permission or with out me knowing, they make me pay a $100 and i have to put all of my foodstamps in the house and i get $354 foodstamps and when i buy stuff for me and my daughter and i put our names on it they still take it and eat it and they get mad when i talk crap i was sleeping on the couch with my baby for awhile then they finally gave me a bed( in the dining room!) now when im trying to put my baby to sleep someone goes in the kitchen and turns on the light and wakes me and her up and they are mean to me and my daughter to them we are always doing something wrong!! I really need help with my situation because i feel that if i keep having to live where im living now me and my daughter wont have anything left because everyone takes are stuff and we dont have anywhere else to go and i thought i could count on my family but now i know i really cant their the worst and their not helping me at all and the alway threaten to kick me out all the time and the dont care if i dont have no where else to go with my daughter my grandma tells me all the time when she trys to kick me out that she doesnt care, so i really need help bad!!!

Ashley August 25, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’m a single mother of 1. I’m 19 and need help with getting my own place for me and my child. If yoou can help can you please contact me.

Roberta September 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

My heart is saddened as I read all the sorrow that our single mothers stories on this site…I have a story but it is not my story it is about my ex-daughter inlaw..
She is a 31yr old single mother of 4, trying to go to school, work 2 jobs and support her children…My son is the father of 2 of her children..He moved away 5 years ago and never looked back at his children, me or the rest of our family…His child support is very minimal because he is out of touch..Must be working under the grid…Her other two children are from 2 other fathers whom she was not married to…(AND she gets no support for them) I am not here to judge her…I love all the children as my own…
Yesterday she called me and told me she has been evicted (she is out of money)…She and the kids are staying in a friends basement (FOR AWHILE) She has been in and out of the hospital and has no insurance..The bill are stacking up…and they are homeless…
We live in a one bedroom apartment…I am unemployed (drawing unemployment) and my boyfriend makes only $10.00 an hr…We would love to help but we also live from payday to payday…
Deep sigh…Is there any help out there for our country? I feel so helpless;-(

Brittany Sanderson September 30, 2011 at 7:38 pm

I am a single mother with one child and another on the way and taking care of my mother and my boyfriend do all he can but he don’t have a good job to help me with my rent and my mother because my mother had an stroke and can’t work and i been stuggling a little before she got out of rehab and i’m just asking for help with the rent so we can have something over our head.

Thank you;

laura ramirez December 3, 2011 at 11:19 am

im a 24 year old single mother of 2 baby girls i dont have a job my income is the money that i receive from calworks program and i need to rent a place for my daughters and me pleace help me its urgent cause for next month im not going to have a place to live please help help

Jalisa soilea January 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm

My name is jalisa soileau I’m twenty years of age with two children that’s five months and three we are really in a very bad position coming into 2012 my mother has stage four cancer and we just got evicted out of our apartment she stay in and out of the hospital and we are basically homeless I really need a place for me and my children before they try to come take them away until I get on my feet with a job please help me god bless

Sammi January 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I am a 22 year old single mother. I curently have a 3 year old and my im pregnant with my son and will be giving birth in just a few short weeks, because I have been on bed rest and can not work I am running out of money and living off of my child support and alimony from my ex husband. After I have my son my family will be kicking me out of the house and we will be homeless I have called every shelter in my area and some even across state and nobody seems to be able to help me. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

jamaunia February 16, 2012 at 2:05 am

i am a 24 year old mom to be, getting ready to have my first child. Im currently working part time and preparing for the baby, moving from home to home. i have 4 months until this baby arrives. I NEED STABILITY, but in my past i have a eviction and my credit is awful!! Is there any way i can rent a apartment?? i need help, and all the help i can get!! please if im missing something let me know!! HELP ME..thank you so much

Alisha April 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I am a 19 year old college student and first time mother that recently gave birth. Looking for help with housing assistant and energy. We will appreciate it. Thank you!

Sarah September 13, 2012 at 2:51 am

Have you tried contacting the HUD? Depending on what US state you live it, you can contact their state office for more assistance.
For energy assistance, have you applied for LIHEAP?
I hope your situation improves and good luck!

Abigail January 17, 2013 at 4:10 am

I am a singel mother with an 8 year old boy with ADHD and a 4 year old girl. I moved to CA to get away from bad drama from their fathers girl friend and other things the two of them are into. I came here to make a new life for us. We moved in with my mom and her boyfriend who is 1/2 her age. Witch has been a problem but for the last 2 1/2 years we have stuck it out. I have went to kaplan College and I now have an CNA, Home health and most of all a Phlebotomy CPT-1 license, and managed to get High Honors Award even with an IEP and being dyslexic. I bought a car in June so I would no longer have to share with my mother( which I was greatful of) I have been looking and applying for jobs in the ares with my new education. I finaly got hired as a Caregiver. Its an non medical job but I am hoping it will give me some experience to get where I want to be next. On November 5 th I totled my car wich I only had liability for. This caused my hours to be cut more than half. In June when I was hired I was working 48 to 60 hours a week. In September when my son went back to school I was working somewhere between 36 to 50 hours; what ever they had for me. Now since I have no car it has been ridiculous. Today I am working 12 hours a week because of lack of transpertation. It takes me an hour to walk my kids to school, then I walk to the bus by 8:40 am to be to work by 10:am then the same at 2:pm when I get off I take the bus, walk to get my kids, and an hour walk home. All the stress on my mother sent her to the hospital last week and it has been brought to my attition that my chirldren and I need to get out and in our own place! I am a hard worker and I am not going to give up but I need a car and a place to live near my sons school!! I have been on section 8 for three years now and keep waiting. I am to the point where if I could I would move into low income apartments , however with my son having ADHD not having space has been a problem in the past and we were kicked out of an apartment due to nosieness. My son is just hiper and needs space to move around in. He is in a new school and is doing great! For the first time he is making 100%’s on his tests and for the most part is getting his work in on time. I am scard if we do not find a solution to our problems soon (real soon) he is going to start slipping in school due to all the stress at home! Please anyone if you know of any recourses let me know! I am all my son and daughter have and I want to teach them how to earn a living.

Leave a Comment


{ 4 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: